History and Membership
The first Torch Club was organized in 1924. Originally, membership was restricted to “members of the learned professions.” With the emergence of many new professions, the definition of eligibility has been widened to include “other disciplines pursued by a person in a recognized professional manner.”
Local Torch Clubs have the right to set their own general boundaries, and membership is open, upon invitation of the club, to those the club deems professional persons of good standing in the community. All local clubs are members of the International Association of Torch Clubs.